Monday, October 24, 2011

Trans Sib Hostel - Irkutsk


The Trans Sib Hostel is in an amazing location less than 10 minutes from the train station by foot. That is where our amazement ended. There is currently only one room open, because the hostel is under construction. They, I'm assuming the owner and his friend, are building a shittily constructed wall to separate the two dorm-type rooms from the main reception area. According to some old reviews, this was once an open space. After growing up in a house that was being built, and helping to build parts myself, I can safely say these are more “walls” than real walls. They are insulated with egg holders that have been foam sprayed to keep them together. Very classy. They used what looked like 2x2 studs to hold up the sheet rock that forms the wall itself. I think I could probably step through their wall without much effort. I think privacy curtains would do as much as their walls, but they just don't give that same sense of false security I guess.

Giant key.

The staff was extremely nice and helpful whenever they weren't turning the television up so they could hear it over the pounding of nails that comes with construction. They really should have closed shop for a couple weeks, or really a couple days with that kind of quality, and just reopened when the wall was finished. If the wall had been finished before we got there, I wouldn't be writing about how poorly they put it together, and I would be writing about how awesome their gigantic bathroom is and how comfortable their beds are and how fun it was to have a giant key for the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment